By: Alessandra Santiago
Congratulations on making it through finals season and another Fall Semester! You’ve made it one step closer towards application time. We hope you’re feeling the excitement that goal progression can give.
Before you embark on a well-deserved Winter Break, here’s a little check-in from us on a few key aspects of your application. If you have fallen behind on any of these components, don’t stress! Winter Break is a great time to make progress, and if you’ve decided to formulate your strategy another way, this article can instead serve as a benchmark to your own strategy.
Check-in #1: Letters of Recommendation requests.
- Have your letter writers confirmed that they will write for you?
- If not, follow up with the letter writers you haven’t heard from.
- If yes, provide an email reminder of your timeline and thank them again for writing a letter for you. You can also provide them a link to the AMCAS Letter Writer Resources Page.
- Consider signing up for Interfolio to make your formal letter writing requests and to store your letters until submission time.
Check-in #2: AMCAS Registration.
- Have you registered for an AMCAS profile yet?
- Check periodically online through AMCAS for useful resources, i.e. the Applicant Guide, the Medical School Admission Requirements, relevant timelines, etc.
- Get personally familiar with the AMCAS application requirements and outline. This is a big step in getting ready to hit submit, as you want to avoid making any unnecessary mistakes that might delay your application.
Check-in #3: MCAT preparation.
- Where are you on the 300-hour study road to taking the MCAT? Do you need to sign up for a preparatory course or complete any of the AAMC subject question banks?
- Have you taken any of the available AAMC full-length practice exams to assess where your gaps are?
- Have you registered for your MCAT date? The Spring MCAT dates opened in October, so if you haven’t signed up, it’s a good idea to sign up now.
Remember: staying on track with your application cycle comes down to how well you practice self-discipline. During this Winter Break, try stay on target with your application cycle, but remember that it is ok take time for yourself and put your application materials down for a while! Rest, recuperate, and return refreshed in the Spring Semester.
Enjoy your Break, have a happy time with your loved ones, and we will see you in the New Year!
If you want to learn more about navigating the Pre-Med journey, check out our Getting Into Med School: Tips and Tricks Blog.